Monday, February 4, 2013

#34/60 daily painting challenge

In every artist's life, there are aha moments. Moments of discovery, when you visit an art gallery, or museum, and there is that one or two paintings that jolt you creatively.
I had two of those moments growing up. My first moment is when I went to see my first Monet exhibit, in New Orleans. As I turned into the first room, there hung a painting the size of the wall. It was huge, and had all of these pink blobs all over it. Something that resembled a vine and nothing else but raw canvas. I was astonish, young, and just getting started on my life in the arts In my naive mind, I thought...what's so great about this, I could do that. As I took in more of the exhibit, I started to get more of an understanding of his work and his life, but ... then came the aha moment. We were across the room from the blob painting, then, I looked around at it from a distance. My mouth liked to have hit the floor, The most beautiful painting of roses just came to life. I could see every petal and leaf, even the background made sense.
Then, my second aha moment was visiting the Ringling museum, in Sarasota, Florida. Standing in front of a John Singer Sargent painting is something I'll never forget. I saw the same thing in the fabric he painted as I had seen in the Monet painting. How could they do such things with so few strokes. I was at awe with these paintings. If only someday I could paint like them.
There was also something else that I loved visiting at the Ringling museum....the beautiful rose gardens out in the back of the house. It is amazing, I would love to paint there all year round!
So, today's painting is reminiscent of those two aha moments.
If you have a large screen monitor, I ask you, please back away a few feet, or reduce the size and you'll get the idea of what distance can do when viewing a painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment