Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Secret Closet..only time can tell.

 A few weeks back, a good friend, Charlotte Evans, posted a quote by Robert Henri that I had never heard before.
I had read his book, "The Art Spirit", and used it as reference many times, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember seeing the quote... "Paint the flying spirit of the birds rather than it's feathers". 
When I saw that post, it struck a cord in me, and my mind went straight to what I call my "secret closet".
 The secret closet is where I store paintings, 44 to be exact, that I can't finish for one reason or another.  Most, or should I say, all of them are unfinished due to lack of knowledge. I put them in there til I can grow in some way or another, be it technical skills, emotionally, or spiritually.
 Over the last couple of weeks, I haven't posted a blog because, I opened the door to the closet, after reading that quote, and pulled out this painting I had started it in 1994. With fresh energy and renewed inspiration, thanks to Charlotte, I will be revisiting this work, along with a few others I came across.
 I wanted to share this painting with you, in it's beginning stages because, I may be getting back to my painting roots in the near future.
 I was heavily influenced by artist Audrey Flack, Rene' Magritte, and M.C. Escher, not necessarily by their technical skills, which were great, but mainly in their thinking process.
Thank you Char!!  Please visit Charlotte's website  http://charevansart.blogspot.com she has some beautiful paintings!

6 comments:

  1. I think that the quote is a wonderful inspiration , not only to artists, but to everyone. We should all admire the "spirit" of the birds, and not just the beauty of their feathers...God Bless You Debra and happy painting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such a closet too! I close the door & quickly shut it. Someday I just might enter & never come out until I have finished each & every one! Excellent post Deb. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it want take you 19 yrs. like me...lol Thanks for the compliment, means a lot!!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh Debra I love this--you write so well you should write a book along with your art! Thank you so much for mentioning me and giving me an advertisement on your cool blog! I love the idea of a secret closet--That would be a great name for a web site or blog. God bless, Lov char Happy happy painting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we don't know why people come into our lives, but you seem to be a constant inspiration for me. Thanks for the things you share...xoxo's

    ReplyDelete